On those mornings you struggle with getting up, keep this thought in mind—I am awakening to the work of a human being. Why then am I annoyed that I am going to do what I’m made for, the very things for which I was put into this world? Or was I made for this, to snuggle under the covers and keep warm? It’s so pleasurable. Were you then made for pleasure? In short, to be coddled or to exert yourself?”
Rigor vs. Tentativeness
There is a difference between rigorous deliberation and overthinking. "The idiots ruin everything through overthinking." — Elisha Long "When you think twice you double lose." — Elisha Long It is not the distinction between thinking and doing; it is the distinction between thinking that terminates in action, and thinking that substitutes for action. This does not condone the "opposite" of overthinking, rashness. Alexander did not win battles by saying, "screw it, send it" and charging in headlong. He won battles with solid and ingenious plans, that did "survive first contact", and even survived an utter lack of communication across a miles-wide battle front. He planned thoroughly, but he did not suffer from analysis paralysis like so many moderns; he did not subject himself and others to his own inaction. He subjected the world, the very ends of the earth, to his kardia, thumos, and dynamis. Kardia, the heart, the source of one'...
Comments
Post a Comment